We are living in a world where the phrase “no one is perfect” seems to have been lost. Naturally, people are always quick to judge you based on your appearance, especially the facial looks. Your face is the interface with your external world, and the first thing that people will notice about you. People will always take facial beauty to mean great character, high social status, and health. Besides, a beautiful face, smooth, glowing and youthful looks boost your self-esteem and confidence. However, as we age, our skin is affected by various changes, and we suddenly lose the youthful glow. Nothing to worry about! There are many types of cosmetic treatment that can help you to counter the aging signs on your face. Of them all, a facelift surgery is the most effective and long-term solution.
People have had different opinions about surgical facelift with the majority basing their argument on mere misconceptions and speculations. This article explores the ABCs of surgical facial enhancement including its benefits, potential complications, and their control among other things. First, we see how your face changes with age and some of the causes.
What are the Effects of Aging on Your Facial Skin?
Have you ever asked someone to guess your age based on how you look? And to your embarrassment they added you 5 more years? The problem could be signs of aging which are always shown on your skin. Though aging is a natural process, there are some changes that come with age we would like to slow down. There different factors that contribute to aging:
- Natural (Normal) Aging – With time our face naturally starts losing its youthful looks. The skin becomes dry and inelastic, develops visible lines on the face and wrinkles. The jowls sag, and in some cases you may have double chin among other effects. This genetic process is beyond our control and is more evident in person above 50 years of age.
- Environmental Factors – Lifetime exposure to UV rays accelerates aging of the skin by breaking down elastin making the skin to sag.
- Lifestyle factors – Including lack of sleep, stress and an imbalanced diet can also increase the rate at which our skin ages.
- Smoking – Smoking produces free radicals which overwork the oxygen molecules making your skin dull and wrinkled.
- Other Factors – Medical conditions such as obesity causes the skin to age at a faster rate.
Some of these factors can be controlled through various methods such as prevention against the sun, healthy lifestyle, and routine skin cares. However, you may need a surgical facelift to get instant and long lasting results.
These factors create unwelcome changes in the skin such as:
- Wrinkles on the chin.
- Sagging skins below the jaws (Jowls).
- Sagging skin and excess fat on the lower face and neck.
- Skin folds around the mouth and nose.
What is facelift (rhytidectomy) surgery?
Facelift surgery (rhytidectomy) is a clinical procedure that removes sagging and folding skin on the face and jaw lines. It also reduces the appearance of other aging signs and effects to restore the youthful appearance of the face. This procedure is carried out by qualified dermatologists, and aims at reversing the unwelcome aging signs of on the face.
Surgical facelift involves lifting and tightening of facial muscles and skin on both sides of the face to restore a youthful appearance. During the procedure, the surgeon will carefully remove the excess skin and fats that are responsible for the tired looks. This helps to restore the contours of your face, taking you back to a younger version of you.
When is surgical facelift necessary?
Skin aging is part of growing, but at times it can make us really uncomfortable with our appearance. This can negatively affect our confidence and self-esteem. Has your skin lost elasticity and has deep wrinkles? Or has folds of skin on the lower face resulting from premature or natural aging? A surgical facelift can be the ideal solution to take the clock back to your young appearance. Here are some reasons why you should consider a cosmetic surgery:
- You are bothered by the sagging skin around your face and neck.
- When you look at the mirror, you feel that you look older than you actually are or think.
- When this tired-appearance start ruining your relationships and career (especially for media and modelling professionals).
- You are more comfortable wearing a scarf or turtleneck to hide your aging chin and neck.
If you belong to any or all of the above groups, you need facial renewal. This will not only to achieve a younger appearance, but also ensure high self-confidence and quality of life. It can help you to look healthier and energetic.
Am I the right candidate for facelift surgery?
Despite being an effective method of countering effects of aging, facelift surgery may not ideal for everyone. If you are suffering the effects of premature aging, it can be easier to use other non-surgical skin treatments. Particularly for younger people, damaged skin will repair itself if you take the right protective measures and change your lifestyle. However, it is advisable to discuss your cosmetic goals with your surgeon to make the best decision. Mostly, facelift surgery is a good choice for people aged between 40 and 70. However, occasionally younger or older people still go for the procedure. The following factors may be helpful in assessing whether a facelift is a good choice for you or not.
Factors to Establish Suitability of the Facelift surgery
- Your expectations – Before you go for a facelift, you need to understand both the benefits and limitations of the surgical procedure. You can consult your facial surgeon and learn what exactly you can accomplish, and the possible complications and alternative solutions.
- Some degree of skin elasticity – Though facelift is aimed at addressing the problem of skin inelasticity, your facial skin should have some natural flexibility. This enables the surgeon to pull back and tighten the loose skin to reduce the wrinkles appearing on the face. It is also vital for the healing process.
- General body health – Facelift surgery involves cosmetic treatment which relies on your overall health for proper healing and recovery. It is therefore advisable to inform your surgeon of any current or previous medical conditions before the procedure.
- Define bone structure – You need to have a precise bone structure that can support the surgical adjustments to provide the desired results.
- Excess skin sagging on the face or neck – Do you have some loose skin or excess pockets of fat on your face or neck that makes you look older? If yes, you could be the right candidate for this procedure.
Some Common Misconceptions about Surgical Facelift
If you are considering a surgical facelift, it is a common thing to do your research and consult friends and relatives to gather as much information as possible. While this may be helpful, you are likely to encounter some misleading myths about the treatment. Below are some of the common misconceptions:
- A facelift can transform you to look like someone else. The goal of facelift surgery is not to change your appearance to that of someone else. The aim is simply to make you look younger and healthier.
- Only older women qualify for facelifts. There are two things here; age and gender. Although majority of patients seeking facelifts are women between 40 and 60, there is no age or gender limit. Besides, different people have diverse skin types and age differently based on their genes. This means any adult whether male or female of any age can go for a facelift to control the effects of their aging skin. However, for younger patients, it is advisable to first consider alternative non-invasive cosmetic treatment procedures.
- A facelift will give you an artificial look. The media has publicized some of the extreme and artificial makeovers, which have tarnished the reputation of surgical facial lifts. Modern facelift techniques allow doctors to work on the underlying tissue to produce a natural and undetectable end result. Additionally, surgeons make few incisions in areas that are hardly noticeable.
- Facelifts are only for the elite few. In most cases, surgical facial beauty enhancement methods are associated with celebrities and the rich. Today, not only the rich and celebs are taking advantage of modern cosmetic procedures; the society, in general, has embraced the benefits of looking young and attractive. Moreover, the procedure may not be as expensive as you may presume.
Before, During and After the Facelift Procedure
Prior to the procedure, your surgeon will take the time to examine your state of health. This helps to determine your readiness for the facial surgery. The pre-surgery examination may involve an assessment of your history including:
- Skin condition
- Current and previous treatment and medications
- Blood clotting
- Blood pressure
- Personal lifestyle among other things
In addition, you may have to attend a short session with your doctor to discuss the details of how the facelift surgery. The doctor will brief you on tools and techniques to be used, your expectations and possible complications. It is important to follow the directions of the surgeon strictly to reduce the risk of complications for quick recovery.
During the Procedure
The process involves lifting of the skin and firming the muscles and tissues beneath the skin. It may also be necessary to remove or redistribute fat and remove excess skin on your face and neck. The surgeon makes incisions based on the agreed techniques, stitch and bandage the wound set for healing and recovery. Generally, the procedure takes 2-5 hours, and the patient can go home on the same day. Some of the modern techniques include:
- Laser method
- Endoscopy Method
- Mini Facelift Method
After the Facelift
The recovery and healing process may take several weeks, but you should be comfortable to resume your normal operations after the first 2 weeks. The following experiences are normal during the first days of healing:
- Mild pain
- Discharge from the wound
There will be several appointments during the first 60 days of the surgery to monitor the recovery and healing progress. Additionally, you should follow the self-care instructions as directed by your surgeon. You also need to observe any signs of complications and contact your doctor immediately in case of the following:
- Severe pain
- Redness and inflammation
- Chest pains
- Short breath
- Irregular heartbeat
Fortunately, these discomforts and complications can be relieved by the use of the appropriate medications.
Facelift surgery has become popular these days, thanks to the new techniques in cosmetic surgery. For most patients, the procedure is satisfying and has lived up to their expectations. This treatment can restore your youthful appearance for up to 10 years after which you can have a repeat. However, before you go for the facial surgery, it is advisable to consider other alternatives. It is also important to work closely with your doctor before, during and after the surgery to get the best results.